RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY – MINOR
Binding Legal Document
Read Carefully And Only Sign if You Agree
I am the parent or legal guardian of the minor whose name appears below (“Minor”). On behalf of Minor, I request permission for Minor to participate in cross country riding at Oatlands Historic House & Gardens (“Oatlands”) and in consideration of such permission agree to the terms as expressed in this Release and Waiver of Liability (“Release”). I have complete authority to make this Release and Waiver of Liability on behalf of Minor and I understand that but for such apparent authority, Oatlands would not have allowed Minor to participate in the activities noted below. I fully understand that cross-country horseback riding, which may include encountering obstacles and rough or unpredictable terrain, is a dangerous activity and includes many inherent risks, including but not limited to:
- The propensity of an equine to behave in dangerous ways which may result in injury to the rider;
- The inability to predict an equine’s reaction to sound, movements, objects, persons or animals; and,
- Hazards of surface or subsurface conditions and riding over unknown terrain where hazards may be hidden by vegetation or development.
Knowing these activities are dangerous, I wish for Minor to participate. On behalf of Minor, I accept and assume all the risks of injury (including death) to Minor or property.
In exchange for Minor being permitted to participate in these activities, for Minor, myself, Minor’s heirs, guardians, and legal representatives, I and on behalf of Minor RELEASE and agree not to make or bring any claim of any kind against Oatlands, including its officers, directors, agents, and employees, for any injury (including death), to Minor or any damage to property whether from anyone’s negligence or not, or any other cause, arising out of Minor’s participation in these activities. I also agree if anyone makes any claim because of any injury to Minor (including death), or for any damage to property, I, on behalf of Minor will INDEMNIFY and keep all those released by this agreement free of any damages or costs because of those claims.
I also agree to the Rider’s Code of Conduct as printed on this website.
Rider’s Code of Conduct
In exchange for permission to ride at Oatlands, I will, and will require that anyone over whom I have supervisory duties, including minors and children:
- Wear a hard hat while riding at all times.
- Maintain my tack and equipment in safe and functioning order.
- Ride during the hours of daylight.
- Ride only on trails designated for horse use.
- Cast or carry out all manure in the equine parking area.
- Maintain control of my horse, and provide my horse sound and humane treatment on the trail.
- Not smoke, litter, bring/or consume alcoholic beverages or controlled substances onto Oatlands’ property.
- Not bring dogs (except authorized Service Dogs), cats or firearms with me on the trail or to the parking area.
- Be safe and courteous when encountering others on the trail. Larger groups have right of way.
- Minimize damage to the trail, especially during wet periods where riding may not be allowed in certain areas.
- Supervise children at all times.
- Report to an Oatlands agent any possible vandalism, illegal acts, fires, trespassing by others, or injured livestock I observe while on the trail, including apparent violations of this Code of Conduct by other riders.
- Carry a current negative Coggins test for each horse I ride on the trail.
- Forfeit my trail riding privileges if I am found guilty of violating any of these rules.