In 1897 the Carters sold the mansion with 60 acres to Stilson Hutchins, founder of the Washington Post newspaper. Hutchins never lived on the property, selling it in 1903 to affluent Washingtonians William and Edith Eustis.
William Eustis, an avid equestrian, found the location ideally suited for fox hunting; Edith, enchanted by the neglected gardens, was determined to return them to their former splendor.
When Mrs. Eustis passed away in 1964, her two daughters, Margaret Eustis Finley and Anne Eustis Emmett, donated the Oatlands mansion, its furnishings, and 261 acres around it to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Today Oatlands is a self-supporting co-stewardship National Trust Historic Site. The mission of Oatlands is to preserve the property for future generations, interpret the house and grounds to the public, and serve as an educational resource. The grounds also are available for special events and private functions.